如何在不造成伤害的情况下将车间外墙绝缘?

C

如何在不造成伤害的情况下将车间外墙绝缘?

Charley Nelson Aug. 27, 2021Last updated: Aug. 27, 2021

I have recently decided, due to the astronimical costs of hydro in Ontario, to further insulate my shop. My exisiting shop is 2x4 framed, with R14 roxul and 6 mil vapour under drywall. (No AC) The exterior is poor mans board and batten. (1/2" plywood with 1x2 battons at 16"oc.) This combination, with a 4000 watt fan heater, costs about an additional $150 to $200 in hydro per month if I heat it to 16 degress C for 6 to 8 hours a day and maintain 'frost free' at night.

If I remove the battons, add 2" of foil clad ISO and vinyl siding to add R13, should I be concerned about moisture? What else should I be considering, beside a more economical heat source?

Thanks you in advance for your help

Charley

Responses (3)

Charley Nelson
Charley Nelson 10 months ago

Thanknuou so much for the returned I formation. Unfortunately, I am bound by local municipality interpreters building codes and they would fail without the interior standard 6 miles vb. So it is there. The exterior, (framing out...) is 1/2" ply, 2" (r13) iso foam... double sided foul, and now vertical vinyl siding.

Where should I be looking for degradation over the years? Will it be the plywood in the middle?

如何减轻这种退化?

Thanks again.

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 10 months ago

We may be misunderstanding each other Charley. I was running with the assumption that you had a vapour barrier already. The solution of adding 5 + inches rather than only 2 inches shouldn't make a difference to building inspectors, but it helps protect the walls. If you go with Mineral wool though, it doesn't matter how much you add, moisture will go through anywhere from 1 inch and up, it's with foam that you are best to go a bit thicker. Does that make sense? As for what to look for with degradation, I would target a method that works well so that you have nothing to look for. Does that make sense?