Cost to install alternative wall panels to drywall?

A

Cost to install alternative wall panels to drywall?

Adrian Baerlocher Nov. 12, 2021Last updated: Nov. 12, 2021

We were hoping to usenon-toxic, plywood wall panels for interior walls instead of drywall. I read your article about using 'UV Wood' from Columbia Forest Products(hyperlinked). These panels are available locally for around $30 for 2x4' panels (maybe cheaper if purchased in bulk?).

只是想知道安装这些有多贵?我们的设计师强烈反对我们走这条路,因为安装成本更高。这些需要特殊的衣架/硬件来安装吗?我认为切割这些面板(用于窗户、插座等)将比石膏板更耗时。Apparently drywall/painting costs with materials/labour would likely not be much more than $3-5/sq ft.

Thanks!

Responses (4)

A
Adrian Baerlocher 8 months ago

Thanks for the info, Mike! I think the big worry was labour costs but it sounds like this might be a bit overblown. Do you know if there are any fire code issues when using plywood panels on interior walls?

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 8 months ago

我们避免讨论任何建筑规范问题,因为它们会因地区而改变,但我不认为这是一个问题。你的设计师应该能够确认这一点。至于成本,我认为木板墙更劳动密集型的想法是非常过分的。我自己做过这两件事,老实说,我认为选择木板会比石膏板花更少的时间,而不是更多。

But to get a more informed opinion than mine or your designer, you could get the opinion of a local general contractor. If you don’t have one already, this really is the time to get an GC onto the design team for exactly this reason. A designer may know what looks nice, but a builder knows how easy or difficult something is to build, which equates directly to cost. And to help the vetting process, here is a page aboutwhat to look for when choosing a home building contractor.

The ‘downside’ of wood panels is that you are limited in design ideas, where drywall you can paint an entirely different color anytime. Good luck Adrian, happy to help!

A
Adrian Baerlocher 8 months ago

Thanks again! We'll definitely pursue this and find out actual costs from a GC (once we have one!).