Are Insulated Concrete Forms and Gigacrete panels good?

D

Are Insulated Concrete Forms and Gigacrete panels good?

Dallin Sumpter Feb. 21, 2019Last updated: Aug. 3, 2020

I want to build a house to passive house standards and keep it to a relatively small budget by potentially doing some of the build myself. I stumbled upon the history of ICFs and Gigacrete while researching building materials, but haven't seen a lot of passive houses built with these type of insulating materials. Is there a reason why? Insulating concrete forms would seem to be a pretty efficient method of building houses, and can be air tight without a lot of additional work, dont have thermal bridges, and they tend to have a hard time catching fire (important where I live). I'm looking for an educated opinion because I am such a construction rookie - but ICF as a construction system has got me interested.

Responses (5)

H
Herman van den Berg 3 years ago

我还计划建造一所房子,不一定要达到被动房屋的标准,但要尽可能环保经济。对于外墙,我非常考虑使用Nexcem ICF墙体形式。你可以在网上找到关于这个ICF砌块和ICF施工先驱的技术细节,以及一位建造者描述他如何在施工中使用Nexcem ICF墙形式的视频。Note, Nexcem was recently known as Durisol, so you may find additional information online under that brand - or if you're interested inthe definitive history of ICFs blocks & ICF Construction including Durisol, that's here..

Robert James
Robert James 3 years ago

I looked at Nexcem too but I found lots of comments in forums about the blocks when they were Durisol - apparently they can shatter easily unless they are handled very carefully and building with them looks like hard work! see http://www.theenclosure.ca/relief-2/ Also, they wont get you above R22, which isn't helpful if you want a well insulated envelope...

R
Robert Jones 2 years ago

A few years ago I built a very large home using Durisol. We had more than 12,000 SF of Durisol walls and experienced none of the shattering problems you cite. A crew of five experienced masonry workers put up the walls in about 6 weeks. We lived in the home for eleven years and it was a fantastically energy efficient home - but then that is in comparison to a standard stick built home with 4 inch insulation and which leaked air like a sieve which is all we had before. I hadn't realized before reading the article mentioned above that Durisol ICF had such a long history !

D
Dallin Sumpter 3 years ago

谢谢你!