What type of Insulation can I use on the exterior of my home?

S

What type of Insulation can I use on the exterior of my home?

Scott Muller April 18, 2019Last updated: Aug. 3, 2020

I have an old home, circa 1920’s, I’m currently renovating in Saskatchewan, Canada. I want to add insulation on the exterior of the home. The house is currently covered with an old concrete type stucco that may be original?

我在想一个“气泡包装”类型的产品,捆扎然后壁板。我现在怀疑我自己,因为那是一个蒸汽屏障,可能会在以后的道路上造成问题。外面似乎有太多相互矛盾的信息,让人很难做出决定。Love your work on the site and thanks in advance for any information.

Cheers,

Scott

Responses (5)

S
Scott Muller 3 years ago

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the video recommendation, i see myself going down the rabbithole and watching everything you guys have!!

Im going to go with the ComfortBoard method, what do you suggest for fastening the board? Fasten it in conjunction with the strapping or fasten the board first then the strapping after? If you have any tips or recommendations on the install id love to hear them.

Thanks

Scott

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 3 years ago

Hey Scott, I'm glad some of those videos are of value! I would use the strapping to fasten it, Rockwool boards won't hold so well with just screws. If you watched that siding install video you'll see we did two layers of it but the principle is the same. In a perfect world you would have the Comfortboard then weather barrier both attached with the strapping. Dont forget to overlap and tape the weather barrier.

You need to make sure the bottom course of Comfortboard stays in place and supports the others, so it would need some screws if it isn't resting on something like ours is in that video, but the upper courses of Comfortboard won't need a lot of screws before siding. Screws cost money and they do act as a thermal bridge, it's not the end of the world but don't overload it with them for no reason. A certain amount of perforations in the weather barrier are unavoidable, but if you put any gaping holes in it be sure to tape them up to prevent air leakage. Glad to be of help.