你能直接在地下室的墙上安装泡沫板吗?

T

你能直接在地下室的墙上安装泡沫板吗?

Ted Gorab Oct. 3, 2019Last updated: Feb. 26, 2021

I read in one of your articles when putting up rigid foam toInstall two inches of rigid insulation board directly against concrete. A mold expert told me to put the board on top of the framing, not directly onto the concrete wall so the house can breath. What is the right course of action? Thank you

Responses (18)

T
Ted Gorab 2 years ago

The mold guy said houses are meant to breath, I'm not sure which way to go. There is no signs of water, just humidity.

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 2 years ago

Wow, if understand correctly that is a terrible idea. Cinderblocks are porous, so they will continue to absorb moisture from the ground unless they are well-protected, and I mean with at membrane and not just the bitumous spray. Since you likely don't have such a membrane on the exterior, the blocks will always have a certain amount of moisture content. And due to the laws of physics, moisture will always want to go where it is dry, which in this case will be your studs, at least until they are completely saturated to the point of equilibrium and the wood just stays as wet as the concrete wall.

If there is dirt against the outside of the blocks (which I assume there is) then it can't dry to the exterior, and by covering thestud wall with XPS insulation boards (which are a vapor barrier)you would be ensuring that the wall cannot dry to the interior either, so what you would have is an ideal mold incubation chamber.

If you are still able, I would move the studs away from the wall, and see if you can get a 6 mil poly vapor barrier behind it, if not, I would make sure to use breathable materials. Thebest insulation for a basement stud wall in your case would be mineral wool上面是岩棉,上面是石膏板。在干墙之前用6毫米聚能屏障可以防止墙干燥,如果你正在处理的话,希望你的市政建筑检查员能让它通过。这样渣砌块中的水分就可以通过通风设备甚至除湿机进入地下室内部进行管理。

Read those links above, and I would say start with the one about why basements are moldy, and I think all this will make more sense. I would for get yourself a dehumidifier down there and see if you can keep it at 50% RH or lower.

Rocky Ford
Rocky Ford 1 year ago

I have built a block masonry house I want to put 2-inch foam on the inside for now does the block need to be painted before I put the foam against the block are waterproof and what with.

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 1 year ago

Hey Rocky,

At 2 inches thick EPS and XPS insulation both work as a vapor barrier, so no need to paint them first.

Robert J. Pierson
Robert J. Pierson 1 year ago

Here's a project done recently in BC - panels stuck directly to concrete walls with low expansion pro Sikka foam as per manufacturers recommendations (Airboard), then they were taped to really seal them up - before and after readings on the humidity were like night and day, and the temperature with zero additional heat in the basement.

Insulating bare concrete basement walls with rigid foam panels
Insulating basement walls with foam bare concrete high humidity low temperature
Insulating basement walls with foam bare concrete foil faced
Insulating basement walls with foam bare concrete lowered humidity raised temperature

Scott Frazier
Scott Frazier 1 year ago
I have an old pourous foundation that has some infiltration during heavy rains. Do you think those panels would be ok to put on walls like that? I have a drainage system under the walls.
Mike Ortiz
Mike Ortiz 1 year ago

How about painting the cinder block walls with Drylok then placing your rigid foam board insulation do your framing throw in some batting for further insulation then finish off with your green board basement sheet-rock and h y our good to go.

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 1 year ago
嗨,麦克,先粉刷不会有任何伤害,但是刚性隔热板会起到阻止水蒸气从基础墙上扩散的作用,所以粉刷真的没有必要。
Mary Franklin
Mary Franklin 1 year ago

Can rigid foam go on cement walls showing some moisture and lime stains. Exteriors not sealed. Daylight basement gutted due to mold in drywall. Working with blank slate sort of speak. Seattle homeowner DYI cause single parent. Wise advice appreciated.

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 1 year ago
Raye Mac
Raye Mac 5 months ago

I really needed to know this! I'm also a DIY Mom who does a lot of research. I have an older home with no water but dampness on walls sometimes. I have two questions please.

#1. For the concrete floor, it has about 1.5 inch gravel base and sump pump path underneath but there is still a couple of tiny damp spots sometimes. Ive never had to pump so it's not much. Is a good underlayment alone ok for Vinyl click flooring ? I will do thr floor first.

#2. There are 3 tiny windows about 12"x6", older home. They have screens and a metal push flap to close. Should I seal these to retain the dryness? The humidity in summer (NW Georgia) is high so thinking I need to use humidifier and circulate the dry space air only.

Thanks so much for all your straightforward, honest answers.

R
Ronald Tetrault 3 months ago

这正是我所做的,2" EPS粘在地基墙内部。天气比以前暖和多了。一个当地的承包商来检查我的房子,他告诉我,他经常拆除廉价的白色泡沫板,只有R1是没有用的,而且他在拆除泡沫后在混凝土墙上看到了蘑菇。他宣称我身上的霉味就是从那里来的。你对此有什么看法?我知道R1不是真的!

Dan Ellement
Dan Ellement 1 year ago

You must be as useless as your comment to go attacking a single mom on a foam board Q&A forum.

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 1 year ago
Comment removed Dan, Thanks for stepping in before we saw it.
R Mark
R Mark 1 year ago

Is half inch rigid enough? I already have framing in their but enough to squeeze in half inch against a rock foundaiton (built late 1800's). Trying to decide if I water proof paint wall AND rigid. Nor rigid w/ paint and roxul. Or no paint, rigid and batt. Apprecaite feedback as I can;t decide what's best as I'm trying to retrofit my basement.

Thanks

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 1 year ago

你的是一个有点棘手的R标记,你必须小心的石头地基。由于没有绝缘体,这些石头可能会保持温暖,所以与内部绝缘可能会使地基承受比以往更低的温度,这可能会使砂浆面临结冰和开裂的风险。在你这样做之前,值得一看,以确保砂浆是在良好的形状。在一个完美的世界里,如果可能的话,你会把它和外部隔离开来,这样既能保持体温,也能让你的粉底保持温暖。