What is the best way to reduce humidity in a basement?

R

What is the best way to reduce humidity in a basement?

Robert J. Pierson Oct. 17, 2019Last updated: Aug. 25, 2020

我们住在华盛顿州贝灵汉,我们的地下室建于70年代。它的湿度很高(70-80%RH),尽管我没有看到任何可见的潮湿。洗衣机/烘干机在下面——烘干机的通风口是完全密封的,地下室里除了通风口没有真正的通风。有一个水槽,有排水孔和火炉的热水箱,还有一个小窗户,自从我用双层泡沫条把它封起来以后,它就一直关着,不让黑寡妇蜘蛛进来!

So - as we want to use the space in the basement, what are the suggested steps to reduce the humidity? What should we put on the uninsulated floor as a covering that won't go moldy/smelly like the carpet has (and we're on a budget, and have next to no headroom.)

I appreciate there's no perfect solution - but I wondered whether we would be better getting a continuous drain dehumidifier, a HRV or ERV ventilator unit, or simply put a decent fan one side of the house and a vent or two with bug screens in on the other through the pony wall - bearing in mind our ambient external humidity is often quite high due to being near the coast?

Thanks for your help - Ecohome is a great source of tips and info for older home maintenance!

Responses (2)

Robert J. Pierson
Robert J. Pierson 2 years ago

Hi Frank, I would second the dehumidifier route, and as your climate isn't generally too cold I would recommend adding some cross ventilation too - preferably linked to a humidistat - this video I found explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBSn-Jt074