Is a vapor barrier necessary under a concrete slab with foam insulation and if so, where does go?

G

Is a vapor barrier necessary under a concrete slab with foam insulation and if so, where does go?

Grady 22 Aug. 17, 2019Last updated: Aug. 4, 2020

We're soon building a slab on grade foundation for our new cabin in Montana and I've decided to sit it on a 4" EPS foam insulation so the slab will retain some passive solar heat from the south facing windows in winter, avoiding having to put too much heat in to keep stuff from freezing. There's a bed of compacted gravel already down for the slab to sit on, so my question is, should I put a vapor barrier down before or after the EPS foam insulation and as there's a chance of radon what specification of vapor barrier do I need, plus can this do the job without buying something actually called "Radon barrier" and pushing our costs up?

Responses (3)

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 2 years ago

Hi Les,

这就是我要做的,除了我可能会把它提高到6英寸,我住在加拿大渥太华附近,我们的冬天可不轻松。We also have high risk of radon in this area.

Due to changes in elevation, there can be a lot of temperature variance even within a climate zone, so I can't speak to the 'idea' amount necessarily where you are but we just installed a slab with 6 inches of EPS. It is from aslab on grade form kit called Legalett, and they don't install vapour barriers ever unless for radon gas prevention or to achievePassive House certification.也就是说,4英寸的绝缘材料是可以的,但如果你想要加强一点,6英寸可能不会太过分。Here is aDIY slab on grade installation videoif you like, and if you are interested let me know, Legalett distributes all over North America.