如果地下室的墙壁上有蒸汽屏障导致腐烂,我该怎么办?

I

Is there anything I can do about a vapor barrier on the wrong side of a basement wall?

Iain B Feb. 8, 2021Last updated: Feb. 8, 2021

我有一个1999年完工的地下室的问题。房子本身建于1938年,地基是原野石砌的。当地下室完工后,他们把pt木材直接放在混凝土上,在螺柱之间放上R19木片,然后用聚蒸汽屏障覆盖整个建筑,然后用石膏板。因此,蒸汽屏障似乎在错误的一边,从而导致干燥。

我有一个角落,那里的底板显示出恶化的迹象,所以我把它拉下来,发现底板(?无论螺柱是休息)是腐烂的下面。除了下面的一英寸,这些饰钉看起来还不错。从角落往一个方向大概走了六英尺。另一个方向虽然变坏了,但3英尺内还不错。到目前为止,我的计划是更换底板,修理螺柱,用岩棉做最后一英尺左右的隔热层,装上石膏板,然后收工。节省开支,重做整个组装。

My question is: Is there anything else I can do about that vapor barrier without tearing out the whole wall? I've read enough of the basement articles to know that on a new wall I should put a vapor barrier right against the foundation, then the wall assembly. Ideally with a perimeter drain as well. But this isn't new and that's not gonna happen for a while. Thanks!

Responses (7)

I
Iain B 1 year ago

目前被用作室内生活空间。主要是孩子们的游戏室在冬天气温远低于零度的时候他们可以在那里疯狂玩耍。总的来说,只有除湿机停了几天,才会有霉味,而这似乎只在夏天才会发生。我只是发现发生了这种情况,因为在那个角落的装饰片退化了。没有其他装饰显示出潮湿的迹象。我不得不拉下修剪的一边,是在地面上(它约3/4罢工的高度),这是一个好。我想旧的fieldstone可以干到外面去。安装排气条或类似的装置会导致热损失问题吗?墙上的R19,从你的文章来看,帮我省了不少钱。从长远来看,我知道我必须重做,我只是想推迟几年。

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 1 year ago

The insulation woudl be preventing some heat loss, but it doesn't work as well when its wet so it's probably not performing perfectly. So if anything letting it dry out would probably improve the performance a bit.

The only concern I would point out is mold and air quality, but if it isn't too severe and no one is experiencing any adverse effects then you probably can push it back a few years, and for sure keep the dehumidifier running.

Your foundation wouldn't really be drying to the outside though if its below grade. That's the problem with vapor barriers in basements, the industry seems to have forgotten that foundations are backfilled with dirt, and dirt is wet, so they simply can't dry to the exterior below grade.

I would make a few vent holes if you can, and keep running the dehumidifier and don't sweat it too much. As you said, you only just discovered it by chance, and millions of people have the exact same thing going on and don't even know it. So keep an eye on it, best of luck Iain!

I
Iain B 1 year ago
Robbie Anderson
Robbie Anderson 1 year ago

Hi Mike and All!

I was about to hang a nice custom shelf in the utility room until I noticed water coming behind drywall, which led me here. I, too, had fiberglass against the concrete, and then vapor barrier holding moisture in, and then drywall. I believe a bad window seal allowed water in during a summer storm and it could never dry out. I ripped the entire wall down and building new before I mount the shelves. I love ideas I've learned from your posts on here but wonder if someone could still help me with specific questions? Right now my plan is 2" rigid fiber board adhered to the concrete wall, then either a 2x4 wall with mineral wool or I might leave it and adhere a thinner 1x4 wall on their sides since I don't have much space and will be building over my sump pump.

1. 在使用泡沫板之前,混凝土里还嵌着很多铁钉。我需要这些吗?我可以把它们切成同花吗?
  2. 还有泡沫板之前,我是否应该涂一些防水封口剂?我觉得网上一半的人会这样做,一半的人不会。
  3. Also at the top of the poured concrete there is vapor barrier hanging over roughly 10", and holding moisture in. I wonder to separate the sill plate that is resting on top. Do I need that vapor barrier or should I rip that out, too? I intend on also taking fiberglass out of the rim joist areas and replacing with foam board and foam board adhesive. Can I attach pictures on here?

非常感谢!

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 1 year ago

Hi Robbie,

1 - no you don't need those metal pins in the foundation so cut them off.

2 - 2 inches of EPS insulation is an effective vapor barrier, so no you don't need any additional protection, if you're going with only 1 inch then you might want to first install a 6-mil poly barrier.

3 - If I'm getting what you mean and the poly at the top of your wall is keeping moisture in the concrete, that's not a bad thing. Concrete is very porous so it will forever absorb moisture from the ground and deposit it into walls if allowed, or dry to the interior. Without being separated from the ground with a membrane your concrete will always be wet and that's no problem as long as you take steps (like the rigid foam or poly) to prevent your walls from being saturated with moisture.

Robbie Anderson
Robbie Anderson 1 year ago

Thank you thank you thank you!! I broke the pins off, doing 2" and no other barrier, and cutting the extra poly off and letting those top edges dry out a little more. I now suddenly found a leaky furnace vent pipe and have a rotted top sill plate. I'm carefully cutting and replacing a 3' chunk of it and will then finish the project. Thank you!