What is the best way to insulate a crawl space?

R

你能提供爬行空间绝缘设计协助吗?

Randy Christensen Dec. 10, 2019Last updated: Aug. 27, 2020

Be warned; this is a long post! Apologies in advance.

I live in the colder climate of western Massachusetts in an 1830s vintage home. We have a 4'6" crawlspace (approximately 18' x 26') beneath our wood floored living room. The house foundation is piled-up field stone (typical of that era) and it can be drafty in high winds). The crawspace is dirt floor with several cemented fieldstone pillars supporting the original floor joists (full 8"x4" chestnut and oak beams...now petrified!). Old, unfaced fiberglass batts were installed by a previous owner in the 24" o.c. joist space and secured with wire hangars. The batts are in various states of sagging including several sections that have completely fallen out of place. The basement adjacent to the crawlspace contains our oil-fired heating system; there is a small opening allowing access to the crawlspace from the "full" basement (still fieldstone and dirt floor, but about 6'2" of headspace). My problem is the cold living room floor AND humidity issues as well.

我在想新的玻璃纤维batts在24“o.c.托梁支持一个新的透气箔膜产品订在托梁的下面;我打算用冷烫条固定薄膜,以获得更好的密封性,并防止织物从订书钉上撕裂。我当时计划在整个爬行空间地板上安装6百万聚。我们在爬行空间的托梁内部和下面有一些电力和取暖设施,所以泡沫喷雾可能会有问题(我也听过一些泡沫喷雾的恐怖故事,这让我很谨慎)。最后,我会在地下室用一台持续运转的除湿机。我很幸运有一个干井端口,我可以很容易地引导除湿器的排水进入。

Any comments on my plans would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to add photos if they would better help to visualize my situation.

Responses (1)