What are the pros and cons of building a house on a slab on grade foundation?

D

What are the pros and cons of building a house on a slab on grade foundation?

Debra Kroening Jan. 5, 2022Last updated: Jan. 5, 2022

We live in an area where just about every home is built on a basement. Trying to embrace the idea of a slab for our new build but here are my concerns that I don't see addressed anywhere. Long term sustainability of the house. 100 or more years from now will the slab still be in tact? What happens if the slab cracks and part of the house tilts? Here you have lots of old houses on basements that are still standing. With a basements you can redo basement walls, easily get to plumbing etc. With a slab what happens when a pipe breaks in the slab? How can you even find leaks? What if the next owners want to remodel, how do you run new plumbing, in floor heating etc?

Responses (6)

Debra Kroening
Debra Kroening 7 months ago

Mike, I do agree that most new houses are poorly designed which then requires remodeling in the near future. Thank you for your insight. I just don't want this house to be a problem in the future to a homeowner long after I'm gone.

Daniel curbless shower is a must! Extreme planning and attention to details seems to be the answer.

The trick will be getting trades who can accomplish this properly. Most people around here have never been inside a house built on a slab. I have only been in one in my entire life.

Debra Kroening
Debra Kroening 7 months ago

还有一点我想提一下。房产税。这个新房子将位于美国房产税最高的地区。通过消除地下室,我们需要增加额外的700平方英尺的房子(约)。在这里,未完工的地下室不用缴税。更宜居的平方英尺意味着更高的税收!做了一些粗略的计算,并展开20年,它可能会更便宜做平板,但没有确切的报价,这很难说。这可能是一场清洗。我从来没有看到过关于需要增加生活区以弥补地下室不足的额外平方英尺的对话。更高的建设成本和更高的税收。Thoughts?

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 7 months ago

No idea on that Debra, sorry. Municipal requirements and tax assessments can vary substantially so I can't help much there. I get the idea of going with a basement for urban infill building where you may have height restrictions and the square footage is needed, but it has always seemed a waste to me to build an entire basement to leave empty except for storing a few things. As for finding a quality installer, I can't see that being a problem. Every basement floor is poured and polished and is sloped towards drains, so a slab is really no different that that.