Where do I start if I want to build a hobbit house?

J

Where do I start if I want to build a hobbit hole?

Jasmine Myers Nov. 30, 2021Last updated: Nov. 30, 2021

I live in the Pioneer Valley of Western MA, and I'm looking to build my first home in as eco-friendly a way as possible. When I was a tour guide at a historical site, we used to show people huts that had been built into the side of a hill for insulation, and it made so much sense to me that I'm now really interested in building into a hill or into the ground as a form of geothermal cooling and heating.

这是一个完全的白日梦还是一个稍微好一点的想法,如果是后者,有什么建议我应该从哪里开始这样做吗?我很擅长搬运重物和使用摇臂锯,但这也只是我的专业水平。我还没有土地所有权(正在努力;这里有几种可能性),我的收入相当有限。

Responses (5)

J
Jasmine Myers 8 months ago

This is extraordinarily helpful! Thank you so much!

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 8 months ago

Glad to help Jasmine. We hate to see people drop their life savings on building a house that may not do what they think it will do. Cback in if you want more help. Good luck!

J
Jasmine Myers 8 months ago

(sleeping 12 to a 10x14 room probably also helped in that first year on Cape Ann!)

D
dave lotte 15 hours ago

Not sure if this question is still active after 8 months, but i just have too say, you can build a warm, dry earth sheltered Hobbit Home, regardless of your climate zone.

With the right plans, the right location and making sure you have a continuous layer of insulation all the way around the building envelope, the exterior temperature should not matter to the building.

I am currently building a Hobbit Home in Ontario Canada, and i know from my solar water heater input thermostat that the water temperature 4 feet underground is ALWAYS 45 degrees.

Has it been easy ? Hell No. 18 different architects to get the plans drawn up properly, and even then the first concrete company STILL ARGUED that i do not need to insulate the footings of the Hobbit Home - if you don't, you get mold and mildew along the bottom of the wall....

另一个我听到很多的想法是,它是更昂贵的建造一个土庇护的家比一个普通的。我不同意。我在给地下室浇水,盖屋顶,然后埋起来。那么我就会相信,在那上面再建一整个二楼,加上所有漂亮的装饰会更便宜。带状疱疹、墙板等……

看看罗伯·罗伊的《地下家园全集》吧。

Daves Hobbit Home build on Facebook, or you can Google "undergroundandlovinit".