Responses (3)

Robert J. Pierson
Robert J. Pierson 2 years ago

Hi Jennifer,

If I understand correctly, you’re doing aradiant floorin the basementbut it isn’t living space? That seems costly for no reason, sincethe benefit of radiant heat is all about delivering comfort to occupants; it won’t be moreenergy-efficient. In fact, in your case it may actually be ‘less’ efficient since increasing the temperature of the concrete will increase the rate of heat loss to the ground. If you just want to keep the basement warm for uses such as laundry, access to mechanical systems and storage, then I’d consider sticking a few electric radiators down there and pocketing the savings compared installing a radiant heating system, which will be in the thousands.

And since you live in British Columbia electric is your best choice in our opinion,see here the advantages of heating with electricity.

Over 90% of energy in British Columbia comes from renewable resources, so heating with electricity would be the greenest heating system for you, though I can’t speak to pricing for a couple of reasons -the price of natural gas in BC ranges from $1.50 to almost $7.00, Secondly, there is graduated pricing for electricity, so the most you use the more it costs.

But here’s a life hack for you – if a pretty obvious one – invest more in insulating will help keep your costs down, but since BC bumps you up to a higher price range, if you build a super insulated home you may be able to keep your actually heating rate lower.

We built a demo house in Quebec that is all electric, and the entire electrical load (stove, water heater, lighting, heating) comes to just over $500 per year.Read more about the LEED Platinum Edelweiss house heating and electrical systems here.

如果是我,我只会在我居住的地板上进行辐射供暖,而且只会在与地面直接接触的地板上进行,比如地下室或地板。对于木质框架和完成的上层,我个人并不会感到辐射,因为它只是假设了家里的温度,所以它不会太热也不会太冷。即使是挑剔的金发姑娘也会很高兴。

If it’s a small home and a reasonably open concept, I would likely knock it out of the park with insulation and airtightness so I don’t need to ad much heat, then I would take that money I saved by not installing a radiant floor in the basement and I’d buy amini-split ductless heat pump which operates at 3 times the efficiency, and I may stick a tiny radiator in each bedroom just to be sure. That way I get air conditioning out of the deal too. This to me would be the greenest, cheapest and most sensible heating system.

You will see all that stuff listed in the Edelweiss House link above, if you want any further advice don’t hesitate to ask.