What is the right amount of insulation for a house?

R

What is the right amount of insulation for a house?

Ryan Gerbrandt Feb. 11, 2019Last updated: Aug. 3, 2020

I'm looking to build a small single level passive solar orientated house with double walls or Larson truss (either would have dense pack cellulose) on a slab foundation with radiant in floor heat. I saw a post with a chart showing code built, better insulated and super insulated. The chart showed monthly payments (mortgage and untilities) and the better insulated home had monthly savings over the code built house while the super insulated house cost more per month due to the added up front building cost. I'd like to aim for the better built house with instant payback but how do I determine how much insualtion to use? EPS under slab and on side, dense pack cellulose in walls and loose pack cellulose in ceiling. Thanks.

Responses (4)

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds 3 years ago

乐意帮助!马尼托巴的冬天不乱,但显然你也不乱,这是一个很好的信封,你已经铺开了。在南面进行被动集热是个好主意,限制北面的窗户也不错,只要你不会觉得自己在地堡里。Your design sounds similar to ourEdelweiss House, we did include a few small windows on the north just to have a bit of light in the bedroom and bathroom at the back.

I don’t want to steer you away from energy modelling, but at a cursory glance here are some thoughts –

Your slab insulation sounds pretty good, I doubt you need to go much more than that though. 9 inches of EPS is about R36, that will serve you well. Make sure than when you’re getting the slab designed to insulate below the footing. We’re building another demo house right now that will have asolar-air heated floorbuilt from a kit product that has continuous insulation underneath. There are times when insulation below the footings gets omitted, that would quickly become the weak spot in your home if you didn’t insulate them well.

Koltech have certified Passive House windows, not sure about the other company, but just make sure they build quality products and offer triple-pane and gas filled interiors. Ask either window manufacturer about options for low-e coatings (see links below); ours were done differently on the south than the north which meant the south ones lost a bit more heat at night but gained a whole lot more in the day.

而且因为你要用纤维素记住它是相对便宜的,所以当它涉及到天花板,我可能会考虑加强它一点。无论如何,你会在那里吹进去,所以再多几英寸,把它提高到R70或80是个不错的主意。

One last point in terms of durability - make sure the wall assembly is done with a proper air barrier and vapour control layer. If you do go for modelling then that company or person should be well-versed in building science.

这里有一些链接,可以帮助你做出一些选择,特别是选择你的窗户和通风系统。好运!

R
Ryan Gerbrandt 3 years ago

太棒了,谢谢!